Monday, May 18, 2009

Mom is going through a very difficult time. Yesterday she was taken from rehab back to the hospital. She has acute renal failure, dehydration and pneumonia. Also, all the good bacteria in the intestines is gone and having to be replaced. Anyone who is cleaning her has to wear protective gear to prevent them from becoming infected. I have been told her condition can be reversed. I pray they are right. She will not be returning to rehab, I will bring her home.

I think of the goals I had for her, getting her home and taking care of her. Still, I can only think in the present day. I feel selfish in expressing how tired I am when Mom is doing everything she can to hang on. When I ask her what she wants me to pray for, she says she wants to be well. When I left her today, after staying the night, she seemed to be resting. During the night she called my name and let me know she was in agony. She received pain meds which seemed to help. I thank the LORD that she is now in a hospital where I trust the care she will receive.

I went to the rehab center today and spoke to the administrator and the nurse supervisor about my views on their facility. I told the truth as to what I saw with my mom and other patients. I don't know If it helped them, but I do know that it helped me. I spoke on behalf of the patients who are not capable of participating in their own care. It seems like everything today is disposable, including people. It amazes me what blind spots people have unless it involves their loved ones.

When I first went to "tour" the rehab, I met a woman in admissions who had only worked there for a few weeks. I had a chance to talk with her today "off the record." I told her she was too nice to work there and to please look for another job. She cried, I think because of her tender heart, and told me she needed her job. I told her I would pray to God that He find her a better job and for her to start looking for work elsewhere. I could tell on her face that she is already burnt out.

I have to go now, I have other business to attend to. Thanks for stopping by and I will let Mom know of your encouraging words.

Take care
Teresa

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I pray your Mom starts to feel better very soon. I know it is an awful strain on you also. Keep yourself rested so you will be able to cope.
Nancy

Carolien said...

Dear Teresa,

These must be very difficult times for you. I pray that you may have your rest from time to time and that your mom will recover as best as she can.
We think of you! Take care & hugs for you and mom,

Carolien

Anonymous said...

my prayers are with you teresa i really hope your mum gets better. try to rest up yourself and take care for hersake as well as yours.. give my love to your mum and tell her that loads of people are thinking of her and praying for her. i think you did right at the rehab and with the receptionist.. well done you .. for being so brave.it must be hard but we are all with you

Carol R said...

Teresa - I have been way behind with my blog reading and only today made it to you only to discover that your mom is sick. I am so sorry to hear this and I am sending healing thoughts across the ocean.

[[[much hugs to you both]]]

Heidi said...

I am saying prayers for you and your mother. She has a great fighting spirit in all of this since she says she wants to be well. Please never feel guilty for expressing how tired you are. It is often harder to watch our loved ones being sick than being sick ourselves dear Teresa. I am keeping you in my thoughts.

Hugs ~
Heidi

monique said...

You haven't posted in a long time... I hope everything is OK!

Michelle said...

Teresa,

What difficult times you are going through. I will keep you and your mom in my prayers.. take care of yourself too..

Michelle